Monday, April 23, 2012

Day 22. Year 2.

     Apparently there is a point at which one's body says, 'Hey. That's enough already. I need sleep and I will get sleep by golly.' And apparently I reached that point last night... my apologies for being so late with my blog post. I just woke up after falling asleep on the couch last night. I am really not awake yet and I am freezing, not only did I fall asleep and not do my blog, but I fell asleep and forgot to turn the heat on. Brrrr.... it's cold in here. (Come on... anyone? Anyone?) There must be some Torros in the atmosphere. I said brrr it's cold in here. There must be some Torros in the atmosphere. Oh E Oh E Oh. Ice ice ice. Break it down. (Bring it on baby bring it on! the movie...)

     Bring it on. That's my motto for the week. I'm ready. A few hours of sleep, and now my trashed house looks much more tackleable. I think I will be speed quadrant cleaning today! :) I am learning a bit though. Although my first instinct when I am getting ready for a party is to clean, clean, clean... Sometimes it's better not to scrub and clean the floors to perfection before the party, where 10 seven-year-olds will be running throughout the house and torrential rains pound away outside bringing inside all of that pollen-y stuff. Lots and lots of stuff to do this week. One thing at a time. Or a zillion things at a time. Bring it on. After some sleep I am feeling like da-da-da-daaaa.... Supermom!!

     So I should have started my post off by thanking you. I could feel all of the good vibes you were sending for Vicki yesterday! And all in all, I will call yesterday a successful day! Woo hoo! Vicki never ceases to surprise me. Of course, I tried to do everything I could to set up a successful day... adding lots of visuals to her schedule to include 'nail polish, make-up, dance party, special activity, Ally birthday party, cake, ice cream... ' I let her sleep in and enjoy the rainy morning sleep. And when she got up she asked for 'Mommy take a shower'. (One could start to get a complex when your daughter keeps stimming and repeating, 'Mommy take a shower. Mommy take a shower. Mommy take a shower. Mommy take a shower.' I guess I need to take a shower. So in an effort to keep the positive vibes going. I did. :) And Vicki did her knee slap excited dance in the shower. Much better then the 2 person lift out of the shower from the day before... But I see patterns develop, and it's just not possible for me to shower with Vicki everyday. I guess this morning we shall see how it goes. Wish me luck. I guess that's the chance you take when you reinforce 'mommy take a shower', the behavior will increase. But, for yesterday, anyway... Vicki stayed happy while getting ready, and I will take that and worry about the consequences later this am...) Oh my goodness, Vicki looked absolutely adorable in her party outfit! She loved getting ready. Ally's birthday party was 'come dressed in your favorite princess colors/costume for tea'. And Vicki was Cinderella. :)  Her pale baby blue baby doll dress...glittery costume diamond jewelery....blue sparkle eye shadow....blue nail polish...complete with Cinderella-esque think blue headband. I love watching her watch herself in the mirror. Autism can not take the girly girl out of the girl. And I love things that allow me to bond with my daughter. And allow Vicki and Ally to bond. And this primping for the party was exactly what we needed. :)

     Not to slight Ally at all, since it was her party... She looked absolutely adorable too. My Ally Ariel. A fern green colored long skirt, a purple/gold shimmery top, a white scarf along with seashells as a belt, coordinating purple hued costume jewelry, her shimmery purple cloak, and to top it all of, a loose bun with a red Ariel inspired hair piece/braided headband weaved into her hair. Oh, and don't forget all of the gold and sparkly glitter and fairy dust for the hair and body. Mommy loves to dress up her dolls. :)

     Not only did I want Vicki to have a good day, but I wanted Ally to have her special day as well. It's hard to walk that line sometimes... I've said it before, that we don't have a lot of 'play dates' come over. Things are different here. And sometimes it's easier to not. But today we just jumped right in. And I know it must sound superficial... but I don't want to invite Autism to the party. In our own home, with little girls coming over for Ally, I don't want them to see a meltdown. Or anything else that may cause stares or fear or anxiety. That sounds horrible. But Ally and Joey, they have seen so much. And are affected so much every single day. And things are so different. And they never complain. Well, ok, you got me, heck yes they complain, but not about Vicki or things we can or can't do because of autism. They are the most amazing children. Insert massive mommy bragging here.



     It's the little moments. It always is. It's the little girl who looks right at Vicki and says, 'Vicki. I like your dress. You look pretty.' It's the little girl who says, 'Hi Vicki.' And Vicki looks at her and says hi. It's the little girl who scoots over at the table to make room for Vicki to sit down with them. It's the little girl who hears Vicki scream, but doesn't look away or look fearful. It's Ally who as she is opening her brand spankin' new presents, hands a new Barbie box to Vicki so she can look at it. Without hesitation.  And I am crying now. And it's hard to type. And I have a lump in my throat and tears running down my face. It is so many little things.

     Vicki had times where she needed, and asked, to get away from the noise and the craziness and the freeze dancing... But there were times when I wanted to give her the chance to do it. It was crazy and loud, and crowded at the table during tea time. But Vicki deserved to sit at that table as much as any other little girl there. And she did. And she sang happy birthday to Ally. And she sat with the girls during presents. And she colored. And she smiled. And she laughed. And she yelled. And she was just fine. And Ally was just fine. And I, well, the verdict is still out on that one. :)

     Now, I have a lot of other things on my mind right now. A lot of things that happened with Vicki last night. A lot of things I am concerned about. And my husband, like usual, was right there, listening, talking, being amazing. And I need to think about some things. And I will post about it all tonight... Right now, I have to get ready for Monday. Monday. Monday. Thank you for party rockin' with me. Now I'm shufflin' onward. xoxo

    

No comments:

Post a Comment