Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Day 10. Year 2.

     Vicki was very excited this morning to see her visual schedule. After telling me last night what she wanted on it, she wanted to check and see if I listened. :) And, I did. I have to say, sometimes I feel like I am  copping-out of dealing with Vicki's behaviors, though. In case you didn't catch the incessant amount of whining I've been doing about how things have been difficult... I really wasn't up for any major happenings this morning. I just wanted to get our stuff packed up and everyone ready to head back home after spending Easter with our families. Did any of you ever have an obscure board game called 'Rock the Boat' when you were little? I was just thinking about that game as I was thinking about Vicki's behaviors. And I just googled it. Oh my goodness, what a great flashback to childhood... I loved that game! Anyway... I'm kind of random tonight.

     So, in an effort not to 'rock the boat' today, I feel like I was tiptoeing around Vicki. Not pressing too much, but coaxing a bit. I always think about the phrase, 'pick your battles'. And I do. With all of my kids. Don't we all sometimes tell the kids to do something, and then 20 minutes later regret it? But, gosh, if we back down, our parental domination is threatened. So, I picked my battles carefully this morning. I always feel like I am holding my breath with Vicki too... After I ask her to do something, and I give her some time to absorb what I asked and decide how she is going to respond... there are always those few seconds, where Vicki looks like she is hesitating, then starts forward, then backs up. And it's so hard for me  to keep an even tone, to not get excited or worked up. It's tough for me. Sometimes I can feel the panic welling up inside of me and I get so nervous. Still. You'd think I'd be calm and collected when anything goes on, like I should be a pro at it, but sometimes it feels like the first time all over again. Anyway, she's been struggling with getting into and out of the shower the last few days, so when it was time on her schedule, I was a little jittery. She hadn't been screaming or refusing this morning, so I was cautiously optimistic. And when I told her 'first shower, then car' she looked like she was thinking it over... And then she said, 'Mommy take a shower'. Usually I shower after her because I feel like I get a shower anyway when I give her one. But sometimes, if things are really on a tight schedule, or if she is particularly struggling, she'll ask, 'mommy take a shower' and she wants me to shower with her. I know that sounds kind of icky, but she learns so much by imitation, sometimes it is the best form of acquisition for her, so by modeling how to wash in the shower it becomes a fun activity for her and an easy way to, pardon the cliche, kill 2 birds with one stone. So I did. And she's always singing in the shower when I am with her. It's really kinda cute. :) After she was showered and dressed I feel like I let out a big sigh, like I had been holding my breath. One hurdle cleared. Onto the next...

     It was all good until we were ready to pull out of the driveway with our children packed into an over packed van. I sure hope they didn't needed to get out of the van until we unpacked things from around them. I sure hope they all peed when I told them too... Anyway, what's one of the worst sounds you can hear when you go to start a car? Yep. Nothing. Click, click, click, click. Are you kidding me? The other day when I wrote about 'recharging my battery', I meant it figuratively! NOT literally! Thankfully, family to the rescue. And we were on the road again within the hour. Phew. Thank goodness that's all it was.

     Then, of course, tonight, we came home and slowly unpacked our kids from the van. And of course, I didn't want to cook as soon as we walked in the door. And of course, Vicki had wanted McDonald's if you recall. So we went out for Mexican. Kids eat free Tuesdays. Woo hoo! But, of course, as the waitress is delivering our meals, she says, 'And the kids enchilada meal will just be a few more minutes.' Yep. That was Vicki's. Arghhh.... my husband and I exchange that quick glance of panic, because we know what may happen. Thankfully, a few minutes ended up being about 45 seconds, so no major problems ensued.

     I had completely forgotten that the Easter bunny had left the kids' baskets hidden in their rooms. So right before bed, the kids raced to find their baskets. And again, I felt like I was holding my breath. I wonder if Vicki will get upset because it's not Easter today? I wonder if Vicki will be ok with only eating one piece of candy out of her basket? I wonder if.... I wonder if.... I wonder if I can get the song lyrics to 'Rock the Boat' out of my head tonight?

     So I'd like to know where, you got the notion
     Said I'd like to know where, you got the notion
     To rock the boat, don't rock the boat baby
     Rock the boat, don't tip the boat over
     Rock the boat, don't rock the boat baby
     Rock the boat


Well, I'm a bit exhausted. Why is it that when you travel, and you SIT for hours in the car that you are exhausted when you get home and then you need to sit down? I never did understand that. But, boy am I tired, and a bit seasick from rocking the boat all day. :) Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment