Thursday, April 9, 2015

Day 7. Year 5.

Gosh... sadness seems to be permeating this blog so far this year. I'm sorry. I just try to be honest. And honestly, I am sad quite a bit. But I also like to smile, so that balances things out. :)

So on Tuesday... I decided to try to break up the day a little bit. Ally had been wanting to see Cinderella at the theater. I figured it was a good day to go and see it with Ally still hobbling around on crutches and Joe still coughing too much to go sit in a movie theater. And Vicki was ready to get out of the house and into our van. I was able to get one of Vicki's aides to come up and go with us. Girls afternoon out. Perfect.

Vicki seemed really excited to go. She wore a pretty pale blue shirt and she wore her hair down, long curls all around her face. She wanted some make-up on. We were going to see Cinderella. We were going to do it right. :) She looked so lovely, with a little bit of blush flushing her cheeks and she wanted some red lipstick.

Off we went. Giggly and excited.

And that ends our happy event.

I think one of the things that scares me the most is the unpredictability of it all. I know a lot of people probably think I am too much of a planner when we go out. Always wondering and planning for the 'what ifs'.... But I learned long ago, that if I didn't have a contingency plan, I would be in trouble. On the days when I think Vicki will struggle, she does amazing.  On the days when I think an outing will be a walk in the park, it is not.

Ally and I got out and bought the tickets. Because Ally was hobbling on her crutches, I needed to give her a little extra time. So we went on ahead. I thought Vicki was on her way out of the van with her aide. Nope. She was sitting in the van. She knew what we were going to do, it was there on her visual schedule. She had seemed excited. But when it was time for her to transition. She just didn't. And when Vicki doesn't want to move, Vicki won't move. And there is not much we can do about it.

So, I took Ally in and got popcorn and seats. I kept texting with Vicki's aide. Nothing. She wouldn't move.  :( The movie started. Still no Vicki. I ended up running out to the van to see if I could get her to come in. Nope. She was happy as a clam just sitting in the van. (I've often wondered where that phrase came from, are clams happy creatures?)

Ally and I enjoyed the movie. Vicki's aide sat with her in the van for the course of the movie.
And then we came home. And that was that. It made me sad that Vicki didn't go into the movie. But I was glad that Ally and I got to enjoy it together.

It's so hard sometimes. This is just one small example of any given day. Why do I freak out with my plans so often? Because of days like this.... If I didn't have an aide with me, Ally and I would not have been able to go to the movie. By the way, the guy behind the counter at the theater was very nice and refunded our money for Vicki's and the aide's ticket price.

I can never assume, even on a good day that something as 'easy' as walking into a movie theater will be accomplished.

I'm sorry this post isn't witty or funny or full of wisdom. It's just a day. But I will leave you with a quote, from Cinderella, of course:

"I want to tell you a secret that will see you through all the trials that life can offer. Have courage and be kind." 

I always want to have the courage to continue to open doors for Vicki to explore the world around her. No matter what the challenges are. Just because this day was not a good movie theater experience does not mean I won't ever try again.  And no matter how much something may test my patience... I always want to be kind. And smile. It's a good reminder. xoxo





No comments:

Post a Comment