Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Day 1. Year 4.

     I can't believe another year has passed already! It's been so long since I've written here that it took me a good 20 minutes to find my password. :)  And I can't believe that this is the 4th year that I am writing. Gosh I've missed it. I missed it so much that I am currently doing a reflective post a day for Lent on my personal facebook page. So, my apologies to any of you who happen to read both. That's a whole lot of me. And a whole lot of words. ;)
     So much has happened this past year with Vicki. And so much happens in the span of an hour with Vicki. Where to start? I feel like asking, 'do you want the good news? or the bad news first? Well, before I go freaking you out 'bad' news isn't anything to worry about. To me bad days and bad stuff is icky, sure, and times it feels like that's all there is. And it's all consuming. And it may be for a moment. Or two. But, it's not, not really. It's just life. I haven't been able to get a song out of my head since it popped in at Vicki's developmental pediatrician's office yesterday. "You take the good. You take the bad. You take them both and there you have... The facts of life. The facts of life."  
     I think I am going to start where I left off. I just re-read my last post from 11 months ago. 11 months ago! Holy moly! Vicki has grown so much in that time. Like, literally. At the doctor's yesterday, she officially measures  5 feet 4 and 1/2 inches. Wow. Besides literally growing, she has grown so much and done so much this past year... I can't even begin to describe it. The seed that I planted on my last day of last year's post... Cook with Me. Love, Vicki. It's growing. And she's thriving. And Vicki is blossoming. It's quite frankly the most beautiful transformation I have ever witnessed. And I feel like I am tripping over the words that are pouring out. I want to tell you everything. And I'm sure I will. But for tonight... I want to ease back into it. So, I thought I would post the poem that I wrote that explains a bit of what Cook with Me. Love, Vicki is. And if you get a chance... you should come and check out the facebook page I created for her. And see her beautiful smiling face. And her eyes. In some of these pictures, I get chills looking at her eyes. She is so there. So here. So in there. So with me. I could stare into those eyes all day. Some of the things she has been telling me. With her eyes, with her cooking, with her confidence, with her words, with her love. And I know she has so much more to say. I am listening. And I am feeling. And I am loving. And I am so grateful for all of the support and love that she has been getting. I often wonder what I am supposed to do with my life. What my purpose is. What my 'job' is. And some days, I feel without a doubt that my purpose is to give Vicki the chance. Give her the tools. Give her the means to let her explore her passion. The whole autism awareness... and the puzzle pieces that represent autism... I feel like I am learning everyday, not what autism is or does, but who Vicki is. And I truly believe that cooking and creating in the kitchen is the missing piece of the puzzle for her. And if I can help her put that puzzle together and help her unlock herself, well, then, I have the most important job ever. Ever. Hope you enjoy the poem. xoxo

Cook With Me. Love, Vicki

Let me tell you a story about a young girl...
A young girl named Vicki, who loves to spin and to twirl.
She's 11 years old, has beautiful curly brown hair
If you see her in a store, you might stop and stare...
Not because she has autism, yes, she does have that thing
But because of the pure joy and zest for life that she brings.
She has a spring in her step and a twinkle in her eye
And if you get to know her heart, it will make you want to cry.
She has taught me to love and taught me to hope
She has taught me to listen and taught me to cope.
She has given me so much, now it's my turn you see..
I want to give her an adventure... won't you come along with me?
It's exhausting to be sad and cry over stuff
I put my foot down and said that's enough.
Let's give Vicki adventure and passion and fun
There's a whole world to discover and we've only just begun.
So here's my idea, won't you please help me out
It's a work in progress, here's what it's about....
Vicki loves food, loves to create and explore
You can give her that... and so much more!
For just the price of a stamp, you can send Vicki love
Enclose a recipe with a picture, or whatever you think of.

Here is the address to send your recipe to...
I promise you won't regret it if you do.

            Cook With Me. Love, Vicki
            PO Box 1386
            Stafford, VA  22555

Send a recipe for an appetizer, a side, or a main dish...
Send a  recipe for a drink, snack, or a dessert if you wish.
Cut out a magazine picture, have your kids draw some food
It doesn't have to be elaborate, it can be cut-out and glued.
Vicki will go to the post office and turn the lock with the key
Oh an adventure awaits her... what could it be?
Vicki can read some of the words that you write down for her
Who know, maybe Vicki will become a restaurateur!
She'll shop for the ingredients... she'll prepare the recipe
I'll take pictures and write stories so that you can share this with me.
There's a Facebook  page called "Cook With Me. Love, Vicki" where I will post updates
Please "like" it and you will see the fun that awaits.
Thank you in advance for sending Vicki your love...
Please share this with as many people as you can think of.

xoxo Vicki's Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment