Monday, April 1, 2019

Day 1. Year 2019

     Welcome back to my little personal blog space! It's been over 3 years since I've logged into this page and it took me about 10 minutes to remember my password and where to go to start writing. Suffice to say, I'm a bit rusty. I just felt this little tug at my heart this year, pulling me back into writing about Vicki, about autism, about life, and about me and my feelings. If I am completely honest, it's mostly about the latter this year. So much has happened since I last logged on. Some good, some bad, some heartbreaking and sad. (see, I still love rhyming.) For those of you who never read my blog, welcome! I have to warn you... I write like I talk, and my grammar isn't perfect. And I really try to write from the heart.

     I hope that by writing again this month, it will help me sort out the jumble of worries that I always seem to carry around. I also hope that it will re-acquaint you with Vicki and with our family. I haven't been the best at relaying information these last few years, mainly because when someone kindly asks how things are going, I just smile and nod, and say it's going. Or I ignore the question and deflect to something else. Some days it is too hard for me to admit how things are going; it makes me feel ungrateful for the positives when I just complain about the negatives. So, to all of you who love following Vicki's progress, I apologize for the lapse. Vicki has changed quite a bit the last few years, but underneath she is still the little girl with beautiful curls who loves music and coloring and food. When I get a true unfiltered Vicki smile, it lights my heart aglow and keeps me pushing forward.

     Vicki is 16 now and will be turning 17 next month. Boy, is that hard for me to write. Time just keeps marching forward whether we are ready or not. NOT! I still see that little 4 year old with braids who would carry her little Elmo around everywhere she went. Now she's 16, gave up the braids and lets her curly hair down, and carries around her beloved Layse Black Cat. She also has 2 other new additions to her animal zoo. She has Fox, who goes upstairs to sleep with her and Layse Black Cat every night. And Sloth, who Joe (see how time marches on?? It's Joe now, not Joey. And he's finishing up his first year of college... more to come on that another day) got for her for Christmas this year. Sloth only goes in the van with us. So to recap, Layse Black Cat does everything with Vic, and even goes to school with her. Fox only sleeps at night with her and Layse. And Sloth joins the 2 of them in the van to give her extra support there. Oh yeah, and she has her very own live action Layse Black Cat in her puppy Skipper. More to come on their relationship later, but suffice to say, Skipper is everything we could have asked for in a companion for Vicki and more. He will be 4 this August and he is pretty darn awesome.

     I tried to keep this post light and vague, to get my fingers used to typing again, and to get my feet wet again with sharing. It may take me a few minutes to publish this, so I'm going to sign off for now so I can actually post today. I have to get Vic up in a few minutes for school. I think she only slept about an hour last night, so it may be a tricky one today. Again, more on her sleep to come.

     I'm happy to be here again, and I hope you all enjoy reading this month. Love you all. xo

No comments:

Post a Comment