Saturday, April 9, 2016

Day 7. Year 6.

Tonight I decided to do something a little different. I decided to let Ally write. I did not censor her or change her wording at all. I wanted it to be her voice. She did ask me to ask her questions so it could guide her writing. Pretty sure the questions I asked her are evident. I think it's fascinating getting a glimpse into the autism that Ally sees. Ally talks a lot to her school guidance counselor when things are difficult at home. I never pry. I want her to be able to talk freely to someone without worrying if it will hurt my feelings or make me upset. So without further adieu... here's Ally! 

Hi, I am Ally, Vicki's little sister. 
I will be turning 11 next week; I am in 5th grade and
I LOVE TO CRAFT!!!!!
It may be because I am home a lot. But that's o.k. Because I get to spend time with my family. 

You may think it's hard having a sibling with autism, it is. But we manage. 

Sometimes I worry about my sister or my mom or dad getting hurt when Vicki is having a hard time and I have to go in a different room. 

I remember once when Vicki was having a hard time in her bedroom and she pushed me. I went to my room and Joey came in and I sat on his lap and cried. He was telling me I was o.k. and he was telling me jokes and making me laugh.

I think it's sometimes hard to have an older sister with autism because a lot of people have to come in and help her with stuff. When they leave and grow older I am sad because I got attached to them. Sometimes they are like my older sister, because they do what I think older sisters would do. They talk to me and help me and have fun with me. And I think I can't do all that stuff with Vicki sometimes. 

I think I help Vicki with a lot of things because I think sometimes Vicki wants to copy me. I get very annoyed sometimes, but mom says it's because Vicki wants to be a lot like me. It's because I'm fabulous. :) I help her when I'm baking because sometimes when I am baking she comes in and wants to do it. She copies me a lot when I am drawing and I help her read. 

There are a lot of things that are hard to do with Vicki having autism. Whenever I want to go somewhere or do something, my mom always has to stay here with Vicki and her therapist. So I get sad sometimes because my mom can't always do things with me. Going to Pennsylvania is really hard because she won't get in the car and I really want to see my cousins and grandparents. I think she wants to go in the car, but something is telling her she can't. Right now my mom can't volunteer for field trips and that makes me sangry. Get it? Sad and angry. Ha ha. 

What I like about my sister is that she always pushes through things even if it's hard. It motivates me to do things that are hard too. I like how Vicki used to like to paint her nails red. I can't stand painting my nails because the nail polish chips off and they look yucky when that happens. 

Some people at my school judged Vicki a few years ago because she had to walk with an aide and she never took regular classes. Yes, she has to do that stuff, but you don't have to make fun of someone for doing things differently. I think that's what makes a person unique. 

It's electrifying! 
We all gotta shape up! 

From one of my favorite songs from Grease. 
Thanks. I'm done.....................................................................

So what did you think? I am super proud of Ally for writing this. Tomorrow night you will get to hear from Vicki's older brother, Joe. A little change of pace. And then back to whiny ol' me. :) Love you all. Thanks for your support, always. xoxo

2 comments:

  1. So proud of you Ally. You are a great writer and an even better sister! Vicki knows it too even if she can't express that to you! Great job sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Miss Rebecca! (I'm still up but my mom says I have to go to bed now.) So, goodnight.

      Delete