Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Day 1. Year 2020.

Well. Hello April.

I've been back and forth on whether or not I should write this year. Clearly, as I look back on last year, and the year before, and the year before that... I don't seem to follow through with things. My last post last year was something to the effect of "I've only written for 15/30 days of April, but I really want to finish something, so I'm going to keep writing in May to finish up 30 days." Yeah, that was my last post. That clearly didn't happen. And that got me thinking about what to write about today.

First off, I wanted to say that I hope all of you are in good health and are making your way in this unprecedented time in this world with hope, love, and lots and lots of patience. I've been very overwhelmed, as I'm sure many of you are, with all of the changes, and scary reports, and closures. I've had to step away from the news and social media platforms because it gets to be so much. Too much. So I debated about posting during this time. But then I thought, why not. Maybe writing a bit will help me and who knows, maybe something I say will connect with you as well. And in these times we desperately need connections.

And there it is. Connection. Interaction. Socialization.

We've all seen what happens when that's taken away now. How we feel. The isolation.

And that makes me think of Vicki. And so many other children with autism.

Not just Vicki this last month. But Vicki's whole life.

Lack of connections. Lack of interaction. Lack of socialization. Isolation.

Wow.

How does it make you feel? And think about it. You want to go out, you want to see people, you want to interact. You just can't. And what if you couldn't talk about that with anyone? What if you didn't have the language skills to explain how you are feeling? In a very strange way, this whole world has been given a quasi-autism diagnosis. Not really, but look at the similarities.

And now some of us are given a gift of more time with family. What do we do with this time? Everyone's schedules are interrupted. (And for Vicki, and I'm sure a lot of kids and adults alike, it has been very hard to explain and a very difficult transition.) Now that our schedule has been wiped clean for the next 2 plus months, what do we do with this gift of time?

What do we prioritize? I have found myself saying more and more the last few years... I just don't have time to _____. There is never enough time to finish ______. To focus on _______. To write that letter. To reach out to _____. To call ______. To do that blog post. ;) Time has gone by too fast with the kids. As Vicki approaches her 18th birthday next month, it has hit me very, very hard. I want more time. And now I have it. I want to use it wisely.

Speaking of time, I need to run. If I don't get Vicki up in the morning and shower with her, she honestly wouldn't get up. I know it sounds kind of funny.... who wants to get up in the morning? But honestly, it's very overwhelming and scary for me. If I don't do it, she won't get up.  Seriously. And that scares the crap out of me.

Thanks for coming back this year and reading! And for those of you who are new, feel free to take a look back at previous years. Love you all. xoxo








No comments:

Post a Comment