Sunday, June 1, 2014

Day 21. Year 4.

I figured that after my last post, I better write a follow-up to the movie incident. To sum it up, I will sing you a song from Dora the Explorer. Ready?
We did it. I did it. She did it. Hooray! We went to the movies to see Rio 2. Yeah! We did it. I did it. She did it. Hooray! We walked in. Sat down. And we stayed the whole time. Yeah. We did it. I did it. She did it. Hooray!

A very dear friend of mine had been privy to a lot more of my verbal stress and sadness and anger and self pity and all of the other feelings that came out in my last post. And she sent me a text. "Have a little faith in yourself."

It's so true. Faith in myself is something that autism has stripped me of. And dare I say that after Friday, maybe just a little sliver of faith as been restored. Not much. But a little bit. I left that movie theater feeling as if I was the most awesome mom in the world. My pink, sparkly supermom cape was flapping in the wind and my feet weren't even on the ground. And there you have it. The highs and lows of autism. The gamete of  emotions that I felt... all to take my children to the movie theater.

Just wanted to tell all of you thank you. Thank you for reading. Thank you for praying. Thank you for your kind words. It means the world to me to have so many people who care and believe in me and believe in Vicki. Lots of things helped to make the movie a good experience... from the fact that Vicki was having an 'on' day and she was happy and really wanted to go see Rio 2 to having my son agree to come with us (for the small price of a box of recees pieces). Ally and her friend were so well behaved. And it happened to be the last day for Rio 2 at this theater and we were the only 5 people in that theater. So even though we had a few little glitches, it was only noticed by us. Had my son not gone with us and stepped up, I don't think the trip would have been as successful. I had to have him take Ally to the bathroom in the middle of the movie. If he wasn't there, I don't think I could have gotten Vicki to get up from the movie and transition to and from the bathroom. With about 20 minutes to go Vicki got really fidgety  and was a little louder... but again, we were the only ones in the theater, and that definitely made me feel more comfortable. After the movie my son stayed with Ally and her friend so they could make another stop to the bathroom and I took Vicki to the van because she was getting upset and almost dropped on me. Thank goodness for the handicapped parking pass and yet again, for my son. But all in all, the outing went very well. And after I got Vicki into the van and tucked my supermom cape into my purse, I let out a sigh of relief. It's amazing that one can hold their breath without realizing they were holding their breath. I will take this one victory and celebrate it today.

A happy Ally and a happy Ally's friend. A happy Vicki. And a happy Joey (who enjoyed his recees pieces). And a grateful mommy. I may have even smiled and laughed a little during the movie and danced along to some songs.

And I will leave you on this beautiful Sunday morning with not just the Dora song to get stuck in your head, but also an oldie and a goodie from George Michael.
You gotta have faith, faith, faith
You gotta have faith. Baby. 

No comments:

Post a Comment